The Department of Lands and Surveys of the Ministry of Interior has been managing the major land matters of Cyprus regarding surveying –including maintenance of the state survey infrastructure–, mapping, investigation into title, registration, conveyance, valuations, conservation and management of State Lands, compulsory acquisition/requisitions and encumbrances.
It administers statutes providing services for the property rights of individuals effectively and efficiently within a unified coordinated structure, with distinct branches in Tenure, Registration, Valuation, Management of State Lands, Survey, Cartography and Administration. It is also the Official Service for the compilation, production and issue of maps and plans for which the state copyright is reserved.
The result of the massive removal of the Turkish Cypriot population, due to the Turkish invasion, to the areas under the occupation of the Turkish invasion forces and the fact that this population is banned from moving to the areas of the Republic of Cyprus, the properties which have been abandoned, both movable and immovable, have come under the management of the Custodian of Turkish Cypriot Properties.
The Republic of Cyprus, in order to protect these properties and also to allocate them on a rational basis in order to serve the basic housing needs and reactivate the thousands of Greek-Cypriot refugees, took over at first the management of the Turkish Cypriot properties since the end of 1974, following the issue for this purpose of a General Order for the Requisitioning of the affected Turkish-Cypriot Properties
The following documents must be submitted for the consideration of the application:
- Survey plan
- Copy of the title of ownership
- Copy of the building permit for the erection of the house/block of flats or for the residential development of estates. If separate titles of ownership have been issued for the flats of the block or if the house is mentioned on the title of ownership, applicants need not submit a copy of the building permit. For plots under division, applicants must submit a copy of the division permit
- Copy of the deed of sale
- Sectional view of the building or the flat. Very old houses mentioned on the title of ownership are exempted. A division plan must be submitted in the case of division of plots. In areas of residential development, the plan must be submitted showing the position of the house on the entire holding
- Area in square metres of the plot which is to be acquired
- Documents proving the financial situation of the applicants
- Copies of the pages of the applicants’ passports and those of their spouses (the pages containing the data and the photo of the holders and stamps of arrival to and departure from Cyprus)
- Certificate of marriage of the applicants or relevant attestation of their Embassy and in cases where the spouses do not have the same surname and when the name of the husband is not written on the wife’s passport
- Copy of residence permit and work permit of the applicants in Cyprus
- Application COMM 145, completed clearly and in full
- If the applicant is a company or a shareholder in an offshore company, it is necessary to submit the certificates of registration, of shareholders and of the registered offices of the Company
If the applicant is a Company, a copy of the company’s Articles of Association must be submitted and written information must be furnished on the company’s activities in Cyprus and the staff it employs, both Cypriots and foreigners with the social insurance numbers